Sunday, July 6, 2008

4 YEARS

It was 4 years ago today that my brother Jas passed away. I can't believe how fast time flies, but then remembering things today makes it seem like yesterday. So much has happened in the last 4 years. I was pregnant with McKinlee when Jas died, and now I have 2 kids. I love and miss Jas dearly. I figured since I don't write in my journal very well, I'd share some of my thoughts.....


It amazes me to see how Heavenly Father works, and His plan for us. I never would've thought 4 years ago I would be where I am now. Losing my brother was such a hard thing for me. I lost one of my best friends in high school, and then lost Jas, and I have always had such a hard time with death. But my testimony of the Gospel and the Atonement of Jesus Christ have been my rock, and what have kept me going. I am so thankful that I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and I know that it is the only true church. I know that there is life after death, and I believe in the resurrection, and know that I will see Jas again. What a comfort it is to me to know these things. I am so thankful that my parents were sealed in the Temple, and that we can be an eternal family some day. I have grown so much these past 4 years. I am a stronger person, and I can really say that losing Jas has made me stronger, and a better person. I know how fast life can pass you by. I try to live each day to the fullest, and count by blessings. I am so blessed, and I owe it all to my Heavenly Father. I know that Heavenly Father gives us trials to help us grow, and make us stronger. I know that we can handle anything that is thrown our way, I really believe that. After Jas died, I never thought that I would be able to move on. But life goes on, I'll never forget Jas and miss him dearly, but you can't dwell on that which you have no control. Learn from your trials. I know that serving others helps to forget yourself and your own trials, and realize what you can do to help another person's life.

I love to talk about Jas, I guess you could say that it helps me deal with things. My family called today, and we all reminiced about the past. I'm sad that I am not with you all today. But what an amazing man Jas was. He was so kind and thoughtful, and was always thinking of others. He worked for Gold Cross as an EMT, and loved the medical profession. He loved saving lives, and loved serving others. In fact the night before he died, he saved a girl's life. He was so willing to help those in need. He was so forgiving, and loved to be around people. He loved his wife and 2 kids, they were the world to him. He'd do anything for them. I remember after Jas died, Jason's wife Michelle didn't know how to tell his 2 and 5 year old kids that their daddy had died. Mykell kept asking why everyone was crying, and what was going on. Finally Michelle went outside with her, and told her that Daddy was gone, and was living in Heaven. Mykell calmly told her that she knew, because Jesus had told her. Wow, the knowledge of a child, and how close they are to God. I have felt that same love and comfort these past 4 years. I have truly felt angels around me, holding me up, helping me through trying times.

I love and miss Jas, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him. I know I'll see him again, and that's what keeps me going. I love you Jas! Here is the last picture of Jas with his son Luke before Jas died.

8 comments:

Kelly Nordfelt said...

Keri,
I can't believe it's been four years either. I was living with my parents during this time and I remember everything about that day. It's amazing how much the gospel holds people together when a tragedy happens. Your whole family is so awesome. Thanks for your example!

Johana said...

Keri- The reunion with him will be overwhelming I'm sure you know. How much your family relationships strengthen you. You are truly faithful!!

KEYSHA said...

I think about your family on that day every year. He sounds like such a great guy (and an awesome father!) I am sure now that you are a mother the whole thing hits home a little more too.

You are amazing! I am not sure how well I would deal with losing a close family member. You are an example to all of how to press on and look to our Heavenly Father. The 'big' picture is so important to have in mind when you really put life in perspective.

Thanks for this post, because it also made me think about how short and unpredictable life is. I love you guys!

Scott English said...

I know exactly what you are talking about. I know that loosing my Dad has made me a stronger person too. Thank you for sharing such a personal thing it touched my heart!

Alison English- Robinson

Leilani said...

Keri, I am so sorry that I didn't know what you were dealing with this week. It's funny how wraped up I get in my own little world. You are amazing and so strong, I wish I was a better friend to you this week. What a wonderful legacy your brother left, and I am sure he is so proud of the legacy you are sowing as well. Have a wonderful weekend with your family.

Natalie said...

This was such a sweet post. Thanks for sharing your tender feelings with us. I have always admired you and appreciate the goodness and light that radiates from you. I miss you! We really need to get together. What is your schedule like for the rest of the summer?

Unknown said...

Keri,
you are absolutely amazing! Your testimony is such an example to me!I can only hope one day that I can be as strong as you are! It was so fun to hang-out last weekend! We love you guys and can't wait to see you again!

Smelsha said...

I have tears in my eyes Keri. You've inspired me to be a better person and to live life to the fullest too all through Jason.