Sunday, July 20, 2008

Cedar City Flood!

So apparently living at the end of the street, where our thought was that there would be less traffic, to keep the kids safe.....wasn't such a good idea!

This afternoon when church got out, we went to walk to the car, and it was pouring rain. We ran to the car, and drove home. We couldn't drive into the garage, because it is full of fence materials. So we sat in the car, thinking the rain would slow. It didn't let down, and Jordan and I mentioned to each other that the storm drain didn't seem to be working very well at the end of the street. We finally decided to bolt into the garage, just to find out that we were locked out of the house. No windows open, all doors locked, no keys, and pouring outside! Jordan decided the only way to get in was to drill into the door knob. During all of this, it was still raining. By the time Jordan got in our house, it was time to get sandbags! We looked out our front door and down the street at what was coming toward us at the end of the street, and this is what we saw!

This was only the beginning, it got worse from here!

Within minutes we had sandbags, and TONS of help! I was amazed at the generosity, and willingness to help from ward members and neighbors! The water was so deep, between 2 1/2 to 3 feet in the deepest spots. Luckily we finished our retaining wall weeks before, which prevented the water from getting into our home. It did flood half of our front lawn. Our neighbors weren't so lucky, and water got into their house.

This is our neighbors house across the street. Everyone was busy at work! I couldn't believe it....

This white car was almost completely covered, I don't know if it will survive from this! The water was so deep, it picked up the car and moved it a little bit! They had to tow it out of the water.

This is how much water got on our lawn, and this is our 2 foot retaining wall! I guess we won't have to water our lawn for a while!

It was a mess! Eventually the city came with a back hoe, and diverted the flow. The water slowly went down. It was absolutely crazy! I am so thankful for amazing friends and neighbors who helped out. What a blessing! We were all a mess, way dirty, and soaking wet! McKinlee didn't want anything to do with it, she just wanted to watch a movie with her juice. I guess with how big of a mess it was, it could of been worse!
I just found the article in the Cedar City newspaper, so here is the link....

11 comments:

Leilani said...

Ha Ha I couldn't wait to blog the floods either, how insane was that?! It was fun hanging out at your house all day, thanks for allowing the entire ward to tour your mess today! All I can is say props to your retaining wall, what a blessing that was!

kiki comin said...

holy cow, keri! that was a huge mess! i am happy we don't have to worry about flooding, cuz just looking at your pictures made me freak out! glad everything worked out!:)

Bree said...

That's crazy, it looks like some of the houses around here when it rained! I am so glad that you guys didn't have any real water problems.

Lisa-Lou-Who said...

WOW! What a crazy day!

Brady and Karen said...

Yikes! I would have been panicking!

Nicole B. said...

I am so glad you guys didn't get any major damage!

Amber Williams said...

Oh my word Keri! I had no clue that was going on in your neighborhood! Mike was over helping the Bealers do sandbags and when he came home we went for a drive to the south end of town (where there was like NO water, by the way). Then last night we saw your picture on KSL! Holy cow! I hope everything is OK! Let me know if you need anything.

hecklerwife said...

Nice quote in the paper! We read that article last night wondering if the water got any of you guys...I thought you would probably post pictures. I'm so glad it didnt get into your house.

BTW, I locked myself out last week too. I guess it is reasuring that it is hard to get in without keys :).

Kelly Nordfelt said...

I saw your name and the picture on the news Monday night. I hope it doesn't rain again for awhile!

Keysha said...

Oh that stinks! That's what you get for going to church:) How awesome to have such willing neighbors!

Hoosier Mama said...

When my mom flew in, she mentioned the newspaper article - I am so glad that your house was okay! This restores my faith in humanity! You are quite the celebrity - Ms. TV game show contestant and now in the news! I know somebody famous!